To deal with the former, here are the rules for our regional train systems. To deal with the latter, we recommend carrying a copy of the rules with you. Put it in your wallet or on your phone and refer to it in a friendly way if a dispute with a conductor arises.
All rules are laid out in this handy 3-page PDF. For regional rail specifically:
- 2 bikes per car, stored in designated areas, allowed on all trains except:
- Weekday inbound trains arriving at a Center City Station btw 6:00 - 9:30 AM
- Weekday outbound trains leaving a Center City station btw 4:00 - 6:30 PM
- Center City stations are: University City, 30th Street, Suburban, Market East, and Temple University
On PATCO: PATCO allows bikes at all times.
On NJ Transit:
- Bikes are allowed at all times on the RiverLINE and the Atlantic City Line
- The Northeast Corridor Line to New York has a complicated set of rules.
- You can only take a folding bike on Amtrak, although new baggage cars with bike racks are coming to long distance trains in 2014.
You can view SEPTA's bike and ride brochure below: