Does My Bicycle Need A Philadelphia Bicycle License?
- No, currently, Philadelphia does not require that bikes be registered. The legislation was introduced into City Council for the first time on November 19th.
- Yes, you can register your bike with the Police Department and its BIKE Program. Contact your local patrol district.
What Is The Status of the Bicycle Registration and Fine Increase Bills?
- The Bills have been referred to committee, you can monitor the status of the bills here. Just put the bill numbers into the search box.
- 090828 (Fines & confiscation), 090829 (Fines) and 090845 (Registration)
- No. The enforcement campaign goal was to enforce the regulations pertaining to bicycles on the books.
- The Police contacted the Bicycle Coalition more than a week before the legislation was introduced.
- Enforcement will likely continue over the next few weeks.
- No - The Bicycle Coalition is dispatching Bicycle Ambassadors to educate bicyclists during the campaign. The Bicycle Coalition is working with the Police to ensure that the enforcement campaign is equitable among all road users.
Where Can I Find An Archive of Newspaper and Media Articles
- The Bicycle Coalition maintains an archive of News Articles here.
I heard that there will be another public meeting of the Spruce and Pine Bike Lane Pilot Program. Where and When will that take place?
- Thursday, December 10th from 6:30-8:30pm at the Levitt Auditorium, University of the Arts, 401 S. Broad Street
- The Regulations for bicycles in Philadelphia are a bit more strict than the laws of the State. Make sure you know the Pennsylvania laws and Philadelphia regulations. Remember, a bicycle is a legal vehicle and has all the rights and duties associated with this privilege. Click here for amended sections in the Philadelphia Bicycle Regulations and Penalties Chapter 12-800.
- The Bicycle Coalition does not support the bills introduced by Councilman DiCicco and Kenney. Click here for our press release.
- The Bicycle Coalition does support equitable and consistent enforcement for all road users that is coupled with education about the rules of the road.