I decided to figure out the cost calculation if I wrestled away the family minivan from my spouse and took it to work every day versus my bike and transit commute from Burlington County, NJ.
My Bike Transit Commute
Monthly Transit Fare - $54.20
Fuel Cost - $0
Bicycle Maintenance - $230
Annual Cost of Bike - Transit Commute - $880.20
Total Cost Savings - $5367
I am not counting the fact that we lease that vehicle (which means that I should be including the full lease payment as an expense) and that we would have to buy a second vehicle; unless I can convince my wife to take three trains and a bus to get to work .
- Gas Mileage is based on the info indicator light in my Toyota Sienna
- Fuel cost is the NJ average in the Philadelphia Inquirer for 4-21-08
- Parking costs include average garage rate ($12.65 CCD 2005) plus the $3 Inbound Toll on the Ben Franklin Bridge.
- Transit Fare is based on $45 month NJ Transit RiverLINE Pass plus 8 trips per month on the PATCO High Speed Line (snow, ice, return trips after 7pm)
- Annual Bike Maintenance Expenses - 2 tuneups plus $50 for parts