In addition to establishing a bike share program,which the Coalition heartily supports, Mayor Nutter must take a number of important steps to make Philadelphia's streets safer for residents and visitors who want to bike for work, shopping or recreation. The highest priority steps Mayor Nutter should take are to:
- Establish a Department of Transportation,
- Create and fill a new position for a full-time Bicycle/PedestrianCoordinator,
- Develop and implement a new City-wide Bicycle Plan,
- Close the gaps in the existing bike lane network with particular attention to creating bike friendly streets that connect the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers, and
- Create more bicycle parking on city streets and garages.
Read the full Bicycle Coalition's 2008 Agenda for a Bicycle Friendly Philadelphia