But could they be greener? A typical Eagles game probably generates up to 100,000 automobile trips (each trip is one way). Reducing the number of fans arriving by car would not only reduce greenhouse gases and traffic but you could conceivably "green" some that massive parking acreage.
Some ideas -
- A bike parking valet service, roll your bike up with no worries, Neighborhood Bike Works already operates one for special events and they could start up the service at a very low cost.
- Install bike racks at all gates.
- Work with the Streets Department and PENNDOT to install bike lanes on the approach roads to the stadium. Buffer these bike lanes with traffic cones on game day.
- Enhance transit access - by partnering with regional transit operators
- Provide a free shuttle to the Pattison Subway Stop,
- Make sure the SEPTA opens all available gates at the Pattison Station
- Offer free transfers from Regional Rail and PATCO to the Broad Street Subway
- Offer express bus service to outlying areas such as Delaware, the Suburbs, NE Philadelphia and New Jersey.