Now, what are we going to do about in Philly?
|Susan, a Philly bicyclist in Headhouse Square, 2012|
This spring, the Bicycle Coalition is launching a “Women Bike PHL” campaign, aimed at making riding a bicycle more fun and feasible for Philadelphia women of all ages and backgrounds.
This campaign will be centered around action:
- Last weekend we held our first ever women's mountain bike clinic in the Wissahickon with the legendary Jacquie Phelan, sponsored by Breezer Bikes. (The event sold out like whoa).
- We'll be offering women-only Urban Riding Basics classes: at our office, at neighborhood bike shops, in offices, in English and in Spanish. Our first class is happening May and you can register for it already.
- Bicycling activist and feminist Elly Blue will visit Philadelphia during Bike Month -- May 19, venue TBD!
- Bike Rides! More casual, introductory bike rides, starting with a "Take Your Time" women's bike ride March 19th in partnership with Fairmount Bicycles. Stay tuned for a "Cyclofemme" Mother's Day Ride during Bike Month!
- We are collaborating with Girl Scouts in the region to increase their bicycle-oriented programming.
- Regular blog posts celebrating the wide variety of women bicyclists who are already out on the streets of Philadelphia, blazing the trail for others. Have a suggestion of a woman we should feature? Let us know! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Victoria, Center City Philly, 2012|
You can help close the gender gap by becoming a member of the Bicycle Coalition. Join the conversation and talk to us on Twitter, and keep an eye out for #womenbikePHL tweets.
Questions? Ideas? Contact Katie at email@example.com to get involved.