Back On My Feet is the renown Philadelphia-founded nonprofit which helps homeless men and women obtain self-sufficiency through running. They are putting on the Stroehmann Back On My Feet 20in24 ultra-marathon on July 16th-17th. To ensure the safety of participants running for 24 straight hours(!!!), the organizers are looking for squads of 10-12 safety bicycles and 10 medical bicycles to work the course in 4 hour shifts.
What you need:
- A bicycle, helmet, and lights.
- Snacks and water bottle.
- Four hours (or more, if you want to do multiple shifts).
- Free apparel, food, and gift certificates to local businesses.
- The beautiful and moving experience of biking the Schuylkill River Trail at sunset or sunrise, moonset or moonrise.
- That warm, fuzzy, volunteer feeling.
- Getting exercise alongside people getting a lot of exercise.
This is a good activity for bike groups, cycling buddies, family or friends. Interested in volunteering? Check out their volunteer page. For more information on the event itself, look here.