The report is titled Mode Shift: Philadelphia's Two Wheeled Revolution In Progress. The report uses Bicycle Coalition and US Census statistics to examine regional bicycling trends over the past ten years. Mode Shift offers an in-depth understanding of bicycling in Philadelphia and the region. The resulting picture is of a growing bicycling movement in Philadelphia which places the city at the forefront of urban bicycling in the US.
The report contains data and analysis on many levels:
- Philadelphia bicycling commuter rates parsed by census tract, planning district, and US Census-derived statistical geographic areas (PUMAs).
- The effect of bike lanes upon bicyclist behavior.
- Bicycle usage and behavior statistics for Spruce and Pine Streets, pre-and-post bike lanes.
- Bicycling rates and helmet usage analyzed by gender.
- Philadelphia's national rank for bike commuting.
- Bicycle commuting rates for the 9-county Greater Philadelphia Region.
Alex Doty will be speaking about the report Monday morning on WHYY's Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane. Tune in at 11 am.
The report will be available on our website on Monday. All we'll say right now: look out, Santa Barbara. South Philly's coming for ya.