-Leading up to Bike to Work Day, the Bicycle Ambassadors are offering free, public Urban Riding Basics classes every day this week. If you know someone who just started riding, or wants to but has some apprehensions, our classes are a great way to gain some confidence or brush up on the latest advice!
- Tues, 5/18: Urban Riding Basics @ the BCGP Office 5:30-6:30pm at 1500 Walnut St., Suite 205.
- Weds, 5/19: Lunchtime Urban Riding Basics @ BCGP Office 12:30pm-1:30pm at 1500 Walnut St., Suite 205.
- Thurs 5/20: Urban Riding Basics and Biking in Philly Discussion @ Wooden Shoe Books, 7:00-8:30pm at 704 South Street.
-As stated earlier, Bike to Work Day is this Friday, May 21st 2010! Friday will feature "Commuter Stations" at 5 different locations throughout the city for Bike-to-Workers to stop for some coffee, snacks, and conversation! Please join Mayor Nutter, the Bicycle Coalition, and many others for the annual Bike to Work Day Ride from the Art Museum to City Hall. Plus, RSVP for the Mayor's Ride and you will be entered to win a Breezer Ziggy Folding Bike!
- Center City (21st & Chestnut) - 9:00am-6:00pm
- Center City (ING Cafe, 1636 Walnut Street) - 8:00am-12:00pm
- Kensington (Corner of Frankford and Master Streets) - 7:00am-9:00am
- Manayunk- Manayunk Brew Pub (4120 Main Street) - 7:00am-9:00am
- Temple University's Bike to Work Breakfast: 7:00am-9:30am at the Bell Tower. Free continental breakfast, drawing for a Fuji Bike, maps and more.
-Saturday, May 22 is the Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby. A Kinetic Sculpture is a Human-powered vehicle that also has an artistic theme. Think of parade floats on bicycles, or mummers on hand crank driven pirate ships, or an alien space ship on 2 welded together bikes. Check out the website for more information and details on how to get involved.
Commuter Challenge Update: In the first week of our Bike Month Commuter Challenge, participants made 323 trips and rode over 1143 miles! You can still sign up to track your trips and win great prizes.
Special congratulations to Michael K, Alex B, and Krowseye, the Week 1 Individual Winners; as well as our Week 1 Team Winner, the Philadelphia Spinners. All winners received a free entry to Bike Freedom Valley.
Prizes for next week include: Novara Expanding Wedge Seat Bag with Novara Tire Levers and Novara Patch Kit. Find out more about all our great end-of-the-month prizes!.
Bike Month Photo Contest Update: We've gotten some great submissions, but we'd love to see more of your great photos! Photos must be taken somewhere you got to or saw by bike. More information on entering.
A sample Photo Contest Entry from 15th and Cherry, by Max.