Etiquette for Cyclists
- Be courteous- trails are for all users!
- Keep right (except to pass)
- Ring a bell or politely call out "on your left" when passing
- Give ample room when passing, even if that involves slowing down until that is possible
- Keep your speed down, enjoy the view, and keep an eye out for posted speed limits
- Stay single file during busy times
- Yield right-of-way to other trail users- remember that runners and pedestrians are more vulnerable trail users
- Keep right, walk no more than two abreast
- Stay alert, faster trail users need to pass
- When stopped, step off the trail
- Keep dogs on a leash and clean up after your dog
- Share the trail; be considerate of all users
You can pick up a copy of the Bicycle Coalition's Trail Etiquette handout, or download it from our website. And don't forget to Invite the Bicycle Ambassadors to an event or to teach a class!