JOB TITLE: Executive Director
As soon as possible
PURPOSE AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION
PA Walks & Bikes was formed in March of 2008 to create healthy, sustainable communities
across Pennsylvania by making bicycling and walking safer, more convenient and more
enjoyable. In our first year, we organized Pennsylvania’s first Biking and Walking Summit,
worked with national, state, regional and local organizations to promote pro bicyclist and
pedestrian legislation and policies, received a grant to establish and lead a statewide network of
Safe Routes to School programs, recruited 200 dues-paying members and were awarded a
$30,000 Alliance for Biking and Walking start up grant.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The Executive Director, reporting to the Board of Directors, will lead that growth and organizational building, adding staff and programs as funding allows.
- The Executive Director will be expected to spend several days a month working in Harrisburg.
- There will be travel across Pennsylvania as well as to national conferences and meetings. The job can be based at the offices of the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia, in Harrisburg or elsewhere in Pennsylvania.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fundraising and development via membership programs, and by harvesting major donors, sponsors, and grants - as well as exploring new funding venues
- Leading the PA Safe Routes to School network to bring together advocacy groups, government agencies, and other leaders to improve policies and promote local programs
- Establishing and harvesting relationships with local, regional, state, and national legislative and government executives and with complementary organizations
- Representing and promoting the interests of Pennsylvania walkers and bicyclists on state and national legislative issues
- Developing statewide awareness and communications via the website, social media and press relationships
- Meeting the goals as jointly agreed to by the Executive Director and the Board
- Self-starter and interested in leading and growing this nonprofit organization
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of all ages, abilities, cultural groups, economic status or sexual orientation
- Passion for active modes of transportation and motivation to share that passion with others
Candidates should write a cover letter explaining why they consider themselves suited for the
job, a resume of qualifications and relevant experience.
Please email applications to:
Applications will be considered until the position is filled, with priority given to applications
received by May 5