500 of the rack kits will be delivered to the PPA in two weeks and installation should begin in less than a month. With up to 1800 rings slotted for installation it will probably take several months before the majority of racks are in place.
Using my bike and U lock and we determined that the bottom bracker of the ring will be 15 1/2 inches above the ground. Hopefully that will work for most normal sized bicycles. It is important to remember that you are locking to the post, not the ring. Also note that these racks generally accommodate a single bicycle, its possible to stick second bike on there in the pinch but the U-Locks tend get in the way of each other.
For those of you who still have doubts, the metal rack is sturdier than it looks in the photo. The manufacturer, Creative Metal Works has improved the design for mounting the circle to the pole. These design changes have been used in Seattle, Baltimore, Sacramento and Boulder.
- Thickening the rack and the top and bottom mounting brackets, making them more difficult to bend;
- Adding set screws, preventing the rack from rotating around the post (pre-drilling of the top and bottom brackets by the manufacturer eases thread tapping for the set screws);
- Adding a center bracket, securing the bicycle icon to the post;
- Beveling the outside edge, reducing the chance of denting/scratching a bicycle frame
- The bolts which hold it in place can only be installed with a special tool and can only be removed by breaking them.