Today I conducted an informal bike count by boarding as RiverLINE many trains as possible between 8:30am and 1:20pm. I was able observe 20 bikes on 14 trains (1.4 bikes per train) at various points between 36th Street Camden and Trenton.
88 daily trips X 1.4 bikes = 123 bikes per day
- Only 3 trains were not carrying bikes, on these trains I rode the train for 5 stops or less.
- Bike ridership seemed to be higher in the mid-day with the maximum on one train being 4
- 11 bikes were parked at 7 stations along the line.
- 2 stations, Palmyra and Burlington Town Center did not have racks for the bikes.
- 123 bikes equals 2.4% of the total ridership
- If SEPTA had the same ratio of bikes to passengers, the Regional Rails would carry 2400 bikes a day
- Fare inspectors asked for my ticket only once all day
- Passenger sometimes blocked the bike racks, one person used a folded seat for her luggage